Think of an emotion that you would like to depict.
Sketch a few ideas of how to depict this emotion. Incorporate facial features into design.
1. Throw a piece of clay and roll a slab - big enough to fit the entire mask
2. Place a piece of canvas (or dry paper towels) over a work board. Place a mask mold onto the board.
3. Place wet paper towels over the mast to prevent clay from sticking to it.
4. Place the slab over the mask.
5. Form the facial features. Keep the mask under the slab to support the form.
6. Cut out the designed shape for your art piece.
7.. Spray the slab with water from time to time to keep it moist as you do the sculpting.
8. Attach extra pieces of clay to enhance the facial features or to decorates. Do not forget "score & slip" routine when attaching pieces.
Smooth in attached parts to make sure they are cemented.
9. Between lessons: cover the project with wet paper towels and keep unfinished project in a plastic bag to prevent from drying.
The rest of the steps will be uploaded soon.